I’m always so excited for grilling season to start because it really opens up our repertoire of recipes. So many great Mediterranean and Asian recipes are perfect for grilling. One prime example is Souvlaki – a delicious Greek grilled chicken dish. This version is very simple – only 5 ingredients: chicken, garlic, oregano, olive oil, and lemon. Like most of our recipes, it’s fast, easy, and healthy!
- 2lb Chicken Thighs – cubed into 1-2” chunks
- 3-4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano (preferably Greek)
- ½ lemon
- Place the chicken, garlic, olive oil, and oregano into a glass bowl or plastic freezer bag.
- Season with salt, and stir to combine.
- Put the chicken in the fridge – at least an hour, or up to overnight. Stir or toss it around at least once or twice while marinating.
- Prepare your grill for high heat.
- As the grill is heating up, squeeze one half of the lemon* into chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the meat on skewers – but be careful not to overcrowd.
- Grill the meat on one side for about 3-5 minutes, until it develops a little bit of a char.
- Flip, grill the other side until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce (recipe below).
*Make sure to only add the lemon during the last 30 minutes or so of marinating. Marinating in citrus for a long time tends to make the texture of the meat mushy – which is not a good thing.
- 1 Cup of full-fat Greek Yogurt
- ½ English Cucumber, grated
- 1 Crushed garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp dried dill, or 1 Tbsp fresh (or more)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate.
Serve the Souvlaki with Tzatziki sauce on the side. You can also put the Souvlaki on a pita or lavash bread with thinly sliced tomato and onion. We serve this dish with with grilled zucchini and couscous.
If you have leftovers, you can use them to make an easy and delicious Chicken Souvlaki Salad!