I love dessert but I do not love baking. This cake recipe is so easy even I don’t mind making it. This cake reminds me of the trip to Spain that Justin and I took in 2017. So simple yet so complex and full of surprises. The first recipe I used did not include the orange zest or the orange glaze. While the original was good I felt it was missing something. When I think of Spain I remember the glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice I drank and how refreshing it was. I realized that for me that the taste of orange is what was missing from the cake. I set out to make this cake feel more like my Spain. I like to bake this cake for family gatherings, for a friend’s birthday, or just because I want to eat it. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do.
- 3 whole eggs, plus 3 egg whites
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp (240g) sugar
- Zest of 1 orange (reserve ¼ tsp for glaze)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) ground almond flour
- 3 Tbsp turbinado sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, lightly crushed or chopped
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 . Grease a 9” springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, salt, sugar, orange zest and vanilla. Continue whisking for almost a minute or until a little frothy and well combined.
- Add the almond flour and whisk again to combine. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle almonds and turbinado sugar evenly over the surface of the cake.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and the center of the cake feels firm when lightly pressed, or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. While the cake cools, prepare the glaze by adding all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and heating through until melted. Keep warm.
- After the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, slide a knife around the edges of the pan, then remove the collar. With a toothpick or bamboo skewer poke holes all through the cake and then brush glaze over the top of the cake.
- Let cool completely before serving.