The secret to our Even Better Hummus recipe is starting with dried chickpeas that are soaked overnight in water and baking soda. This method, used commonly in the Middle East, results in a much fluffier and creamier hummus than if you use canned chickpeas. This is a more time consuming recipe than ones using canned chickpeas, but the results are amazing.
Dried chickpeas can be purchased at some grocery stores or online.
Even Better Hummus
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ to 1/2 cup tahini
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked spanish paprika
- Olive oil
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in water, and 1 tsp of baking soda. Drain and rinse.
- Boil the chickpeas for 45 minutes to an hour in water with the other teaspoon of baking soda. Drain.
- Add all ingredients through cumin into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Put hummus into a serving bowl. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of smoked paprika.
If you want to make great hummus and don’t have dried chickpeas or overnight to soak beans, check out our Super Simple Hummus recipe – which can be made in under fifteen minutes using canned chickpeas, and is absolutely delicious.